Volumetric Light Beam is a 5-stars-rated asset available for the Unity engine, which greatly improves the lighting of your scene by generating truly volumetric procedural beams of light to render high quality light shafts rays effects.
This is a perfect, easy and cheap way to simulate density, depth and volume for your spotlights and flashlights, even on Mobile!.
This is the Documentation of the Volumetric Light Beam plugin version 1.74.
Please consider rating and writing a review on the Asset Store page if you like it! Thanks :)
How to create your first Volumetric Light Beam
How to use the Volumetric Light Beam Unity plugin with URP, LWRP or HDRP
Try the Volumetric Light Beam plugin on several platforms with this interactive standalone demo.
- WebGL Demo to run in the browser
- Android Demo to download
- PC Win32 Demo to download
- Mac OSX Demo to download
- Have a look of the Forum Thread if you want to share something with the community.
- Feel free to reach us if you need help or to suggest some improvements/features!
Install the plugin
Get the plugin on the AssetStore and import it. The plugin installs the necessary files into a folder Assets/Plugins/VolumetricLightBeam in your project.
And that's it! You can start to create new volumetric lights!
Create your first light beam
In the Unity's Create menu, browse to Light, and choose either one of the new entity:
- Volumetric Beam: creates a new standalone beam of light (no lights attached).
- Volumetric Beam and Spotlight: creates a new Spot-light with a beam of light attached to it.
In addition, you can attach a VolumetricLightBeam component to:
An existing Spotlight (right click on the inspector)
An existing GameObject (via the Add Component button)
- This asset doesn't generate volumetric shadows. To compensate this limitation, the asset features the Dynamic Occlusion, but it only computes an approximation of the occlusion which can't be 'partial'.
- It only supports 'spotlights' (beams shaped like a cone). Point lights (beams going in all directions equally) are not supported.
- The plugin fully works with Deferred Rendering path: like any semi-transparent objects, beams are rendered using a Forward rendering pass on top of the Deferred one. This is a well known limitation of the Deferred Rendering technique.
- 3D Noise feature requires shader capabilities equal or higher than Shader Model 3.5 / OpenGL ES 3.0. Any mobile devices released after 2012 should support it.
- Volumetric Dust Particles are only supported on Unity 5.5 or above.
- Since this plugin requires custom scripts execution, it won't work for a VRChat world using the VRCSDK.
Volumetric Light Beam is actively developed. The current price is discounted and will be increased as more features are added.
- Improve density rendering when looking from the inside
- Support box and rectangle beams to simulate volumetric area lights
- Support custom beam shapes via cookie textures
- Support skewed light beams
- Expose events in a public API