The simple and efficient volumetric lighting solution compatible with every platforms: Windows PC, Mac OS X, Linux, WebGL, iOS, Android, VR, AR, Consoles, Built-in/Legacy Render Pipeline, SRP (URP & HDRP)!
Volumetric Light Beam is a 5-stars-rated asset available for the Unity engine, which greatly improves the lighting of your scene by generating truly volumetric procedural beams of light to render high quality light shafts rays effects.
This is a perfect, easy and cheap way to simulate density, depth and volume for your spotlights and flashlights, even on Mobile!
This is the Documentation of the Volumetric Light Beam plugin version 1.95.
Please consider rating and writing a review on the Asset Store page if you like it! Thanks :)
Games using the plugin
Volumetric Light Beam is a production ready plugin proven by awesome released games featuring it:
- BONEWORKS released for high-end PC VR
- Carly and the Reaperman released for Playstation 4 PSVR and high-end PC VR
- Kingspray Graffiti released for high-end PC VR and Oculus Quest
- Receiver 2 released for high-end PC VR
- Hexagroove released for Nintendo Switch
- Cloud Gardens released on Steam
- Covert released for Playstation 4 PSVR, Oculus Rift and Oculus Go
- Volt Patrol released on Steam
How to create your first Volumetric Light Beam
How to use the Volumetric Light Beam Unity plugin with URP or HDRP
Detailled info about URP and HDRP compatibility here.
Try the Volumetric Light Beam plugin on several platforms with this interactive standalone demo.
- WebGL Demo to run in the browser
- Android Demo to download
- PC Win32 Demo to download
- Mac OSX Demo to download
- Have a look of the Forum Thread if you want to share something with the community.
- Feel free to reach us if you need help or to suggest some improvements/features!
Install the plugin
Get the plugin on the AssetStore and import it. The plugin installs the necessary files into a folder Assets/Plugins/VolumetricLightBeam in your project.
Configure the plugin
- For the Built-in Render Pipeline: nothing to do!
- For the Universal Render Pipeline (URP)
- For the High Definition Render Pipeline (HDRP)
And that's it! You can start to create new volumetric lights!
Create your first light beam
In the Unity's Create menu, browse to Light, and choose either one of the new entity:
- Volumetric Beam (3D): creates a new 3D standalone beam of light (no lights attached).
- Volumetric Beam (3D) and Spotlight: creates a new Spot-light with a 3D beam of light attached to it.
- Volumetric Beam (2D): creates a new 2D standalone beam of light. 2D means the beam will be generated along the X axis (instead of the Z axis) and so is more suitable if used in 2D scenes.
In addition, you can attach a VolumetricLightBeam component to:
An existing Spotlight (right click on the inspector)
An existing GameObject (via the Add Component button)
- This asset doesn't generate volumetric shadows. To compensate for this limitation, the asset features 2 Dynamic Occlusion techniques: Dynamic Occlusion (Raycasting) and Dynamic Occlusion (Depth Buffer), each with pros and cons.
- It only supports 'spotlights' (beams shaped like a cone). Point lights or directional lights are not supported.
- The plugin fully works with Deferred Rendering path: like any semi-transparent objects, beams are rendered using a Forward rendering pass on top of the Deferred one. This is a well known limitation of the Deferred Rendering technique.
- 3D Noise feature requires shader capabilities equal or higher than Shader Model 3.5 / OpenGL ES 3.0. Any mobile devices released after 2012 should support it.
- Since this plugin requires custom scripts execution, it won't work for a VRChat world using the VRCSDK.